Menu Donate


Find the answers to your questions concerning eligibility below:

  1. Do I have to be Hispanic/Latino to apply?

    Yes. You or one of your family members (parents, grandparents) must be a descendent from at least one of the following countries: Spain, Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Uruguay, Paraguay, Cuba, Puerto Rico, or the Dominican Republic.  Students from Brazil are eligible to apply.  Students from Belize, Guyana, Portugal, Suriname and French Guiana are not considered Hispanic.

  2. Is there a minimum GPA requirement?

    Yes.  Students must have a minimum cumulative 3.00 GPA based on a 4.00 scale.  The minimum GPA for The Gates Millennium Scholarship is 3.30

    High School graduating seniors - transcripts must include a cumulative GPA for grades at least 9th through 11th. 

    ◦   If your GPA is not calculated on a 4.0 scale, download the GPA Certification Form and upload with your transcripts.

    Undergraduate students - transcripts must include a cumulative GPA for a minimum of 12 units/credits earned.

    ◦ If you are a first year freshman or first year community college student at the time you are applying, you will want to enter your final high school GPA and submit your high school transcripts that reflect grades through the end of your senior year.

    Graduate students - transcripts must include a cumulative GPA for a minimum of 9 units/credits earned.

    ◦   If you are a first year graduate student at the time of applying, you will want to enter your final undergraduate GPA

  3. Do I have to be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident to apply for a scholarship?

    Applicants must be a U.S. citizen, legal permanent resident with a permanent resident card or valid passport stamped I-551 or be granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA).

  4. If I am a refugee or have established asylum status, am I eligible to apply?

    Yes.  Applicants must submit a valid I94 at the time of submission of their application.  The I94 must be stamped as:  Refugee, Asylum Status, Conditional Entrant, Parolee or Cuban Haitian Entrant.

  5. If I have an International Student Visa or a Work Visa, am I eligible to apply?

    No.  Visas are a temporary status and can have limited stay within the U.S.  Applicants must be U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents with a valid permanent resident card or a passport stamped I-551 (not expired) at the time of submission of their application.

  6. I am a high school student. When can I apply?

    High School Seniors can begin to apply for college scholarships in September at the beginning of their senior year in the fall.

  7. If I attend, or have attended, a high school or university in another country, am I eligible to apply?

    Yes.  Transcripts that are not in English must be accompanied by an official English translation on a 4.0 scale.  If your U.S. institution does not translate them for you, visit either (ADD LINK) or (ADD LINK) for more information.  Once they are translated, submit the international transcripts along with a copy of the translation. Click here to contact us.

  8. I am older than the traditional college student. Am I eligible to apply?

    Yes.  Our scholarships are not age-based.  Students may apply as long as they meet all the eligibility requirements, regardless of age.  You will need to use your most recent school information when you are asked for "current" school information.

  9. Do you offer scholarships for Community College Students?

    HSF offers several scholarships for students currently enrolled at two-year institutions.  In addition, HSF has a scholarship program specifically for community college students who will transfer to a four-year institution in the upcoming academic year.  Please click here to learn more about HSF scholarships available to Community College Students.

  10. I am enrolled part-time. Am I eligible to apply?

    Applicants may be enrolled part-time at the time of application.  However, students must be enrolled full-time in order to be eligible to receive funding.  HSF verifies enrollment before scholarship awards are disbursed.

  11. I am a home-schooled student. Am I eligible to apply?

    Yes.  In addition to submitting all required documents, home-schooled applicants must submit a copy of their official results from either the SAT I or ACT test.

©2014 Hispanic Scholarship Fund All rights reserved. | HSF Press | Privacy Policy