HSF does not consider financial need for selection. However, financial need will be taken into consideration to determine the amount of the award.
HSF scholarship award amounts range from $500-$5,000, based on the student’s total financial aid package.
HSF’s general scholarship application opens January 1st and is due on March 30th of every year.
HSF’s scholarship application allows students to apply to multiple scholarships by submitting only one application. Applicants may be considered for multiple scholarships; however, they may receive only one HSF award. HSF strives to make the best possible match of applicant to scholarship.
Scholarship funds may be used for tuition, fees, books, and other academic related supplies, as well as for room/board and transportation expenses related to school.
Funding comes from a variety of sources. The majority of our funds come from corporations and foundations that support higher education for Latinos. Some of our funds also come from individual donors. Click here to view our sponsors.
No. HSF scholarships are awarded to high school seniors planning to enroll in a four-year college after graduation, community college transfers and students already enrolled in college or graduate school. However, HSF does provide outreach programs for middle and high school students who plan to attend college. Click here to view our outreach programs.
No. HSF awards are for the fall of the academic year in which you applied.
Yes, but HSF funds can only be applied to costs associated with study abroad if:
• You remain enrolled in your home university;
• The program occurs during the normal academic year; and
• You will be receiving U.S. college credit towards your degree
To qualify, you must submit an enrollment verification form from your (U.S.) home university (after being notified you have been selected to receive an HSF award). Enrollment verifications from institutions abroad will not be accepted.
The majority of HSF scholarships are single-year awards. However, we encourage students to re-apply for HSF scholarships, each year, as a new applicant.
Non-financial benefits include a range of programs and services that will help you to excel while you’re in college, achieve a successful transition to the career of your choice, make important contacts along the way, and be part of our nationwide HSF Alumni network, and our extended HSF Family, for life. In addition, you will be entitled to list yourself as a recipient of this honor in any future applications, profiles, or forums that recognize honors and awards.
A few of HSF services (and expected launch dates) offered to you include:
· A Career Center (Fall 2015) platform that can assist you in looking for Internships or Job opportunities.
· HSF’s Mentor Match (September 2015) platform designed to match you with successful mentors that will work with you virtually or in person.
· HSF University (October 2015) Online course system to augment your collegiate studies.
· HSF Newsletter that includes additional curricular and volunteer opportunities offered exclusively to HSF Scholars.
· Direct access to HSF events and programs such as Latinos United and Networking for Advancement (LUNA) and National Leadership Conference (NLC)
· Extra point on future HSF Scholarship applications, increasing the chance of being selected
A number of our scholarship programs include an internship component; none is mandatory. For the programs that do, HSF or the scholarship donor contacts scholarship recipients with information on how to proceed with the internship process. Additionally, all HSF Scholars will have access to our very own virtual Career Center, HSF Insider newsletter and HSF events aimed at connecting HSF Scholars with our corporate partners’ internship and employment opportunities.
HSF has the discretion to enact random verification on select scholarship applications to ensure the validity of the information entered in applications. Additionally, HSF verifies all required documents.
No, it is all there. When you login to MyHSF, click on Scholarships Application, and you will be taken to our scholarship application system. The application will allow you to save your work and return to it until you submit.